Off-page SEO has always relied heavily on link building. An analysis of over one million Google search results by Backlinko found that backlinks play the most significant role in determining search engine rankings. They’re the most critical part of any SEO strategy. Building quality backlinks can influence your search rankings, website traffic, and sales.
Yet the sad truth is that most people still make costly link-building mistakes that negatively affect their search rankings. For better results, avoiding these mistakes in 2023 would be the best. Therefore, the subsequent sections of this post will determine them to enhance your success. So, let’s dive in.
Giving Up Too Soon
Campaigns usually go like this:
- Success or failure
- Then repeat
In the past, if you ran a campaign and produced a few links without knowing why it failed, you might have given up too soon.
Here’s what to do instead:
The key to a successful campaign is to figure out why it failed. Without understanding why you could not recover, you have no chance of doing better in the future.
Make necessary adjustments to your hypothesis. For example:
- Is nobody reading your emails? Change the subject line if you can
- Do people open but don’t click through or respond? It might mean your prospects aren’t getting the correct value from you
- Do people open and click through but not link? Maybe your content isn’t as engaging as you thought
Don’t give up until you have the plan to adjust your campaign. You could outsource link-building services for faster results; they are usually cheaper, provide consistency in results, and eliminate the need to hire and manage team members.
Lack of Understanding of the Various Types
Understanding the different types of links is essential before developing a link-building strategy. Without diversifying your link-building method, you could fail. These are links you receive from another website linking back to yours.
Every backlink you receive is a vote of confidence from Google. As soon as Google recognizes that your content is trustworthy, it will rank it higher. Backlinks improve your search engine ranking. Increased rankings can lead to more traffic and leads.
Being ahead of your competitors can also benefit you in the following ways:
- Increased brand recognition and awareness
- Builds brand loyalty and trust
- Improves your ROI by increasing customer retention
- Develops your reputation as an industry leader
- Enhances your credibility
- Boosts your online sales
Most people think more is better regarding link-building, but it isn’t the case. Building backlinks requires focusing on the correct links first. Without it, your website will not gain domain authority.
Inaction in Removing Toxic Links
How familiar are you with Google’s Penguin update? Through Penguin, Google aims to improve search results by removing toxic website backlinks. A toxic backlink is an unnatural, spammy, irrelevant backlink that harms the search engine ranking of a site. As a result, the Penguin update mainly focused on penalizing sites with too many toxic links and bad backlink profiles.
So, how can you remove toxic links from your website to improve your Google rankings? Through Google’s Disavow tool, you can remove links using tools such as Semrush to analyze your backlinks.
Bad Outreach Practices
When you engage in poor outreach, prospects will ignore or purposely avoid you, which will have a detrimental effect on your link-building campaign.
An example of a good outreach email should include the following:
The subject lines should be:
- Direct: It should be short, straightforward, and easy to understand
- Specific: provide accurate information
- Intentional: describe what you want to achieve
- Personable: don’t say things in writing that you wouldn’t believe
- Editorial: Punctuation, grammar, and spelling should be correct
Within the Email Body, it should:
- Focus on the point
- Describe the value your audience will get
- Showcase, not tell
- Avoid sounding salesy or vague
When following up, you should:
- Understand that web administrators receive a lot of emails
- Email three times
- Refer back to previous emails
Obtaining long-term ranking results is not easy. Purchasing links, creating hundreds of custom anchor text keywords, and automating link exchange may cause short-term issues. Ultimately, however, you will pay for it by suffering a severe drop in rankings.
A good link-building strategy takes time to build consistent, valuable, and compelling links that people and search engines deem helpful and relevant. The best way to improve your link-building process is to generate great content and deliver value through your products and services.