The skin is the largest organ of the body, which is exposed to much environmental damage on a daily basis. Hence, it becomes essential to take proper care of it. Everyone desires smooth and youthful skin, which is only achievable if you nourish it with nutrients from the inside out.
Moisturising is an essential part of a healthy skincare regime. The best natural face creams brighten the complexion and lock in hydration that is so essential for the skin to retain its glow.
Today, the skincare market is brimming with numerous lotions and creams. It can make anyone confused as to what to choose for themselves. Given below are some pointers that will aid you in choosing a good one for yourself.
Look for the Right Ingredients
Facial creams are a blend of different ingredients that make your skin look better. Some natural ingredients that will prevent your skin from bearing the brunt of daily pollution are:
- Vitamin C – It revitalizes the skin and helps it fight against pollution and free radicals.
- Antioxidants – Ingredients like oatmeal, turmeric, and vitamin E are anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. They deeply hydrate your skin.
- Oil – An oil like almond oil and olive oil minimizes oxidative stress and prevents premature aging.
- Emollients – Humectants and emollients like glycerine and shea butter are especially rich and nourishing for the skin. They readily absorb into the skin and help it retain moisture, so it remains supple and soft.
Ingredients to Avoid in Your Face Cream
The best natural face creams are devoid of ingredients that tend to irritate the skin. Those with acne-prone skin should especially pay attention to the ingredient list to ensure that they are not using something that exacerbates their skin condition. You should avoid purchasing creams that contain:
- Mineral oil – The oil is derived from petroleum. It has a big molecular size, due to which it does not get absorbed into the skin. Thus, it remains on the surface, becoming a reflector of the sun, and makes you highly prone to experiencing sun damage and discoloration.
- Phthalates – These are the chemicals that are employed to enhance the strength and flexibility of plastics. They are used mainly in fragrances and some other personal care products like hairspray. Some examples of phthalates include DEHP, DEP, and DBP. They are endocrine disruptors, and their regular usage can lead to reproductive and hormonal problems.
- Parabens – Parabens are used for increasing the shelf life of a product. But studies have revealed that these chemicals can disturb bodily hormones and harm reproductive and fertility organs. Moreover, they have also been found to increase the risk of cancer.
- Formaldehyde – It is a preservative commonly used in many cosmetic products. It has been identified as a carcinogen and is linked to neurotoxicity and asthma.
The Right Time to Start Using Face Creams
It is a good idea to include a face cream in your skincare regime as you approach your late 20s. It is because, after 25 years of age, the skin starts to lose hydration and elasticity. A wise move would be to use one for the day and another for the night.
Make sure that you are choosing a product according to your skin type. Including a face cream in your skincare routine at the right time will help you to prevent the onset of premature aging in the form of age spots and fine lines.